Tuesday, September 29, 2009

McDonald's...of all places

I won't go into the whole story, so I'll just start here!

For the past 3 years, my dad and my half-brother were not on speaking terms. No phone calls, no visits, nor a mentioning of wanting to change this between either of them. In fact it had declined to the point of not even recognizing that there was a father/son relationship anymore. It felt like a death in the family…that changed this past weekend!

My dad walked into a local McDonald's and saw John (his son, my half-brother). They were both caught off guard a little by this situation and reluctantly said hey to one another for the first time in over 3 years! Surprisingly, dad asked John if he and his wife wanted to sit with him to eat breakfast. Again, surprisingly, John said, “Yes!” They sat together and had random conversations. I mean what would you say after 3 years anyway? Well right before they left, my dad opened his arms and asked John's wife for a hug. She said, “Yes” and hugged him. John opened his arms and dad opened his and they hugged each other for the first time in a LONG time, with dad kissing him on the cheek.

I realize you don’t know our family situation very well, but this is HUGE...even miraculous in a lot of ways!!! And although their relationship sill has a long way to go, I have prayed for this day for some time and am excited to share this new beginning with you.

I hope in some way that this story will bring you hope and encouragement today if you are dealing with a difficult situation, especially if you currently see your situation as impossible!
But from what I've prayed about and have witnessed...I promise you it’s not!

No comments:

Post a Comment