Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Jump!










So last night Holly, the boys and I went to the mall and did a little Chic-Fil-A together and then dropped Holly off to get her hair done. Yeah let me just say, I think EVERYONE in Cincinnati was there! There should have been traffic lights in the mall just to move people along. Gotta love that last minute Christmas shopping!

Anyway while Holly was getting her hair done, the boys and I headed to the play area in the middle of the mall. And just like most boys do, (or at least like MINE do) they played until playing just wasn’t enough anymore. Apparently if danger isn’t involved, it’s just not as fun! So Owen (2 ½) saw Cole (4 ½) jumping off of the bridge and thought…that looks like fun and thought he’d try that. (You know that whole thing, “If your brother jumped off of a bridge, would you do it too? Well I’m pretty sure Owen’s answer is, “Yep!”) Well after Owen would jump, he would hit so hard that he bounced! So as I’m taking his picture, the woman beside me says, “He’s hitting the ground pretty hard” (hint, hint). And as I’m holding my phone to take his picture, I say, “Uh huh.” (Check out the guy in the orange shirt in the background. It caught his attention too!)

Why is that? Why do little boys like danger? One explanation that I’ve read about in the book “Wild at Heart,” goes back to the very beginning of man when God created Adam. John Eldredge shares that in Genesis 2:7, God creates Adam. Then in verse 8 God places him in the Garden of Eden. Therefore although Eve was created in the Garden, Adam was not. Eldredge uses this to indicate that this might be why men and little boys desire adventure and the wild, because that’s where it all began.

Regardless of the reason, unlike the woman beside me,
I was pretty proud of my little guy’s jump!

3 comments:

  1. Kayli loves that bridge as well. Naomi is our little dare devil, although tonight Cory was carrying Logan piggy back and holding Naomi, and Logan jumped of Cory's back...liked to scare me to death!! She has never done anything like that at all!! I'm mostly proud, but a little scared for her poor little knees!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I've directed this blog towards little boys, this certainly doesn't take away from the fact that little girls can be adventerous too! It's great to see our children pushing the limits to see what they're capable of! The hard part, for us as parents though, is to step back and watch... mainly because we want to protect. And just as there are times for us to protect, there are also times for us to step back and watch our young'ens leap hurdles that could have otherwise held them back.
    Thanks for the post and for being a great parent to your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when jerica was little she would climb onto the countertop between the kitchen and family room. she would start by the sink running while saying "catch me" and jump and dive off the end. she had the faith that someone would be there to catch her every time. jerica was right, someone did. at age 20, she still makes "leaps" of faith.

    ReplyDelete