Monday, February 22, 2010

Not Just A Receipt

Recently we went to Taco Bell for some lunch. Cole was still hungry and so we gave him some money to buy another soft taco. He went and paid for it ALL BY HIMSELF, which apparently to him was a BIG deal! As you can see in the picture, he was so proud of his receipt! It was kind of like his verification or certification that HE did it ALL BY HIMSELF!!! It was his trophy! His confidence has now grown to a level that he now feels ready to carry the tray to the table, drinks and all. (Although I've let him, that's not an easy one to sit back and watch!) But I guess that's all part of the whole learning process.

When I see these moments of him not needing dad or mom anymore, it quickly makes me realize that he's growing up right before our eyes! And it's in those vulnerable moments, as a daddy, that I want to be sad. But I soon realize that these are the signs of what I have hoped to instill within him as his daddy. I hope to raise my boys as independent, confident young men who will see possibilities in life rather than limitations in life! And although I haven't done this perfectly, I am beginning to see signs of these accomplishments!

So as I look at this picture, I begin to see that what he's holding is more than just a receipt for food...

Whose life/lives are you intentionally investing in?

2 comments:

  1. Cole is going to do just fine!! He is so sweet with Logan! I love watching how he interacts with her! There are alot of kids, and some are her good friends that leave her behind. Cole is not one of them. There is a goodness in him that is easy to see(even when he is throwing blankets and pillows down the stairs with Kayli). You guys must be showing him a good example which is stronger than words in my opinion!! Love.That.Boy

    ReplyDelete