Thursday, January 21, 2010

A good man has moved on

7 days ago would have been my Papaw’s 78th birthday, but back in April he stopped celebrating his birthday’s here on earth after moving on to bigger and better things! And although I know he’s moved on to a better life, I tend to still miss him from time to time. So I’m going to dedicate this blog to a man who has helped inspire me and others to live life a little fuller because of his example.

Here are some things that, when I remember him, make me proud to be his grandson:

  • He left school at a very early age so he could work in the mines of KY to help support his family
  • Became a Corporal Medic in the US Army
  • Married his sweetheart Patsy! My mom later asked him, “Why did you marry Mother?” His response (no joke) was, “I don’t know. We started going together and just kept it up.” (For 54 years I might add) Too funny!
  • His contagious laugh (The man seemed to always laugh)
  • His jokes (After telling a joke he would just laugh, even if it really wasn’t all that funny) – Makes me laugh now though. Go figure.
  • His love for the Lord and his family!
  • One thing I remember him telling me right before he moved on was this: “We shouldn’t just love some people! We need to love ALL people!” In that same conversation over the phone, I mentioned that I wished I could be there with him. His answer to me, “Don’t chew you worry, we’ll be together again!” That was my last conversation with him…at least for now…
Who do you miss that has impacted your life?

2 comments:

  1. I miss my adopted grandparents. Clayton and Mary Pratt. They were there for my parents when dad was out to sea. They raised us four girls, my sisters and I. Mom could not do it alone. One of us was always at a doctor's appointment. They meant the world to me. In 1987, Clayton passed away to be with the Lord. Exactly ten years later, Mary went to be with him. I love the names Mary and Clayton, and one day, I hope to name my children after them. They showed me Christ in the way they lived. The last words I heard Mary tell me before she died was "Be good, I love you!" Their picturs are hanging in my room. I miss them so much. I still cry for them and ask God to tell them I love them. Along with my parents, Clayton and Mary were the ones who showed me Christ. I love them dearly.

    ReplyDelete