Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I haven't been able to yet!

One thing we are doing with our family is removing the words, “I can’t” from our vocabulary. The biggest reason for this is so Holly, our boys and myself will see life as one big opportunity! A place where anything can happen! It’s been fun trying to teach a 4 ½ year old not to say, “I can’t!” Because at this age, there are a lot of things that are difficult to do! So instead of saying, “I can’t,” we say, “I haven’t been able to yet!”

Well Cole has had a difficult time tying his shoes lately and has said, “I can’t” a lot within the past couple of months. I keep telling him, “Cole it’s not that you can’t, because one day you WILL be able to!” ‘When you say the words, “I can’t,” that tells me that you have given up on trying!” ‘Instead say, “I haven’t been able to yet!”

True story, he came home from being at his grandparent’s house and was getting frustrated at tying his shoes. He held his shoestrings and said, “I ca...(he stopped himself then began again)…Daddy, I haven’t been able to do it yet!” You talk about being proud! I smiled from ear to ear and told him I was proud of him not giving up! He still continues to remind me every day that, just because it hasn’t been done doesn’t mean it can’t be done! Pretty cool!!!

Remember it’s not that you can’t,
it may simply be that you haven’t been able to yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment