Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Who Am I?

Who am I? Have you ever confronted yourself with this question? I’m not talking about an audible question that you ask yourself and then quickly answer...only to look around and see if anyone saw you talking to yourself. I’m talking about a more in depth look inwardly as to who you really are! For instance if I asked, “Who are you,” could you define yourself by more than just a first, middle and last name? If so, how would you define yourself…the core of who you really are?

I am pushing for these answers in my own life. Granted I know myself pretty well after 33 years of being Clayton Hershner, but there are so many unknowns as to what I am REALLY capable of. I mentioned one of my goals being skydiving in a previous blog, but that is just one of the ways in which I hope to test myself and see exactly what and where my boundaries are, where each of my weaknesses lay, and where each of my strengths reside! I am going through my goals for 2010 and it has pushed me to look at this from a professional viewpoint, but also from a personal vantage point. I want to reveal these areas in my life so I can be confident of who I am! The tested, tried and true version of who I am…not just who I THINK I am! This kind of confidence I’m talking about is described by Maximus Decimus Meridius in the movie Gladiator, played by Russell Crowe.

In case you are not familiar with this movie: Maximus lost his wife and son to a corrupt emperor who now confronts him in this scene, unaware that this gladiator is Maximus...whom he despises. When asked his name, Maximus responds not only by revealing his name, but by revealing “Who he is!” Notice that he defines his identity through his full name, by those he leads, by the allegiance of the one he serves, and even by his pain! He has been tested and tried by life in many ways and confidently reveals “Who he is!”

Do I believe we should all go out and be gladiators, testing our limits in order to better define the core of who we are…you tell me. Because I will say this! As I encounter difficult seasons in my life, the ones I turn to first are those who have bravely fought through life’s battles and have intentionally weathered those storms!

Because of this I choose to be a gladiator!

No comments:

Post a Comment