Monday, November 16, 2009

Tyler

I have been teaching and leading children for a while now! I have been doing this fulltime since 2003 and have witnessed some amazing changes within the lives of families and children! In some ways I have even watched these children become young men and women! And although there are SO MANY people that I am proud of I wanted to share a quick story today about a boy (excuse me) young man named Tyler.

I met Tyler in NC, who happened to be a 4th grader at the time. He has what doctors refer to as…a lot of energy! (Much like myself at times!) Tyler was an individual who had the attention span of a fly. It really didn’t bother me too much except when it came to him listening and paying attention. While someone was teaching, Tyler seemed to always revert back to what he likes to do best…talk! He was one of the children where all of the teachers knew his name because they had to call it out a lot.

Well one year I remember being at camp with Tyler and he DID NOT want to be there. He didn’t keep it a secret either! He refused staying at camp another night and tried to make his point by not eating any food. I tried everything, but he wasn’t budging. Later that night I saw something in Tyler that I have never forgotten to this very day! That night there was a young girl who was getting baptized in the pool at camp. It was somewhat dark outside so the pool was lit up and students lined the entire span of the pool in order to watch. Directly across from me was Tyler, sitting on his knees, focusing on what was happening. As this girl was being baptized all the other kids were clapping and talking, but not Tyler. I noticed that Tyler had tears in his eyes and was smiling, as if to understand the deeper meaning at hand! From that very moment on, I have never looked at Tyler the same!

Let me fast forward you to Tyler now. Tyler is now 16 years old and is seriously…I mean this with all my heart…one in a 10 million!!! Honestly, any parent would be proud to call him their son! And although I am not his dad or even the one who deserves any credit, I still feel a deep sense of honor, love and pride to be someone that has helped lead him in his life! I KNOW in my heart that he will be, and IS ALREADY…“a man after God’s own heart!” He loves the Lord and he genuinely loves life and the people in it! A very rare find for someone who is 16!
How about your child? What do you see?
Hyperactive? Strong willed? ADD? ADHD?

I hope when you look closer, you see what I saw during that North Carolina summer night!
I hope you see a future "Tyler!"

Here’s to “doing what I do!”

5 comments:

  1. Clayton,

    Just thought you would enjoy knowing . Tyler has been comming to a small group bible study for 9th and 10 grade boys/young men at my home. We have about a dozen attending each Sunday night. Tyler can still be talkative at times but he is such a joy to be around. He actually closed our night last night with prayer. He is truley a blessing to be around.
    David Swink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clayton,
    Tyler is such a blessing and I'm glad through Gods journey on Earth we we're able to share our lifes with him. Christian looks up to Tyler (has a pet rock named TYLER) and thinks there is no guy cooler. Tyler is filled with so much LOVE and would be in a group of friends and stop what he was doing to give me a hug or the boys a high five. His parents should be proud and i'm sure we yet to see all tyler is. He told me once at a gathering at our house that his dad told him that there was 2 things a future wife would have to know how to do make sweet tea and cook, he cont' to tell me he knew why danny and I were married. I told him I'm a Ohian and we didnt drink Sweet tea up there like that.(looking at me in disbeilf, or as if that was possible) He laughed and sayed ur not in Ohio anymore....
    Nina Robida

    ReplyDelete
  3. This past summer, i begged and begged Tyler to go to CIY. He eventually caved and came along. The first few nights, during worship, Tyler would sit there with his arms crossed, and look like he would rather be kicked in the face than be where he was. Day 3 or so, he started losening up...would sing a little, but not enough to let anyone see/hear him. later, he even started clapping a little, and acted like he wanted to be there. Then came the last night..........i look down my row, and Tyler is directing his extraordinary amount of energy to God. He had his hands in the air, jumping up and down, and was singing at the top of his lungs.....i kinda teared up watching him.....later, we got back at our room, and we were talking about the night, and Tyler says "Im not gonna lie yall, i got my worship on tonite, and it was awesome!"
    Good stuff.
    Ed Merkel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words cannot express how your words of kindness made us feel. Tyler was smiling from ear to ear! We feel very blessed that you were around to make a difference in his life as well as all the other kids you were around. This story has made us laugh many times. I remember him begging me to come pick him up even though the church van could bring him home. I felt so sorry for him, so I drove all the way to Washington. As I was driving into the camp, I saw this little boy come running out of the dining hall, and as he ran beside my car, he said,"Don't you ever do this to me again!." However, I never knew the "rest of the story." Thank you for bringing this back to memory and for coming back this summer to visit. It meant a lot to all of us at FCC. We love you.

    P.S. Tyler has matured a lot this year and is doing great!Ed is doing a bang up job and works just as hard as you did. We have been blessed to have you both. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just one of the many stories that I have the privilege of knowing! I'm so glad he has you all to help keep him stepping forward in life! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete